Who We Are
Mill Bay Tennis Club Executive Team
The Mill Bay Community League Tennis Society held their annual AGM on Wednesday March 29, 2017. The following people have accepted postings to the executive:
- President: Grant Price
- Secretary/Treasurer: Corinne Price
- Membership Director: David Mogg
- Social Director: Penny Kemshaw
- Communications Director: Phyllis Daniel
- Maintenance Director: Drew Burgwin
- Public Relations Director: Cathy Waet
The club was founded in 1992 by a small group of local enthusiasts who made an agreement with the Mill Bay Community League to use the courts behind Kerry Park Arena in exchange for maintenance and management. This agreement, in a modified form, continues to this day. Over the past 25 years the Club has steadily grown from about 20 members to over 80 today. Many of those original members still take an active part in the Club.
Originally tennis was offered in the summer season only; now we have a year round program by using the indoor tennis facility at Arbutus Ridge. The founders of the club emphasized a friendly atmosphere for social and competitive play open to all members of the Mill Bay community and our neighbours. That philosophy remains today.
As part of the 1958 Centennial Year, the community built the first tennis court for Mill Bay on land owned by the Mill Bay Community League (the MBCL) not far from the present location of our courts. It is still located under the Kerry Park Arena lower parking lot. You can actually detect it in spots. Some government grants were provided but it was built with local volunteers and the community was proud that they incurred no debt.
The current courts were built in the 1970's as part of the contract that the Mill Bay Community League negotiated with the CVRD for supplying the land for the Arena. Past CVRD Area Director, Brian Harrison, was at that time the President of the MBCL and spearheaded the negotiations. Once again, the community acquired a tennis facility at no cost.
Several groups were formed over the years to play tennis but the most enduring and successful has been the current club. With the close association between the tennis community and the MBCL going back to 1958, it made sense to continue such a relationship.